What is Optimization?
Optimization means to find the set of parameters that minimize the cost of a solution to a problem.
What is a Global Optimization?
A Global Optimization is the optimal solution out of all possible solutions. [PSOAI]
What is a Local Optimization?
A Local Optimization is a solution that may not be the global optimum but is good enough. [PSOAI]
What Are the Three Types of Optimization?
- Exhaustive: Try all the combinations.
- Stochastic: Try a random subset and pick the best.
- Learning: Pick random solutions that improve as you go.
What Is the First Phase of Optimization?
The first phase is to create a mathematical model of the system.
How Do You Create a Model of the System?
- Translate parameters for the solution to numbers.
- Represent solutions as vectors of parameters.
- Create a cost function that maps the global minimizing parameters to the optimal solution. [PSOAI]
What is a Solution In Optimization?
A set of parameters that solves the problem with the least cost while still meeting constraints. [IIS]
What is the Domain?
The set of valid parameters (those that solve the problem no matter the cost). [IIS]
What is the Feasible Domain?
The subset of valid parameters that meet the constraints of the problem. [IIS]
What is a Feasible Solution?
A solution that meets all the constraints. [PSOAI]
What is the Cost Function?
A function that maps solutions to their cost (maps the best solution to the best outcome and the worst solution to the worst outcome).